Japanese Popcorn Tea Recipe
Genmaicha or brown rice tea, is a blended Japanese green tea with popped brown rice. Blend your own popcorn tea.
Recipe Type: Drinks
Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 3 mins
Total time: 5 mins
You will need:
- tea storage container
- 2/3 cup Brown rice
- 1 cup Green tea
- 1/2 teaspoon Matcha, powdered green tea (*optional)
- Pre heat pan over low to medium heat and put brown rice. Make sure you don’t burn it while roasting.
- When rice starts popping, keep heating until they turn into popcorns then place them on a plate and let it cool down.
- In a bowl, blend popped brown rice and green tea together.
- If you like it strong, blend 1/2 teaspoon of green tea powder.
- Keep it in an empty tea container.
- If you prefer smoky taste, roast brown rice longer but Do Not burn it.
- The cooling down process is very important as tea is better when it’s dry.
- Green tea is quite sensitive with smell. Store them in a container and avoid humidity or wetness.