Recipe Type: Appetiser
Prep time: 3 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 13 mins
1 Kanikama Crab Stick
3 tablespoons Mayonaise
1 teaspoon Dashi powder *if possible
1 teaspoon Lemon juice
8 Sushi rice balls
2 big sheets Black seaweed paper
1. Cut each seaweed paper into 4 pieces of rectangle.
2. Flake Kanikama Crab sticks and mix it with mayonaise, dashi powder, and lemon juice in a bowl.
3. Finely slice cucumber.
4. Wrap sushi rice balls with seaweed paper.
5. Place sliced cucumber on the rice and put marinated Kanikama Crab on top of it.
Tips to make Kanikama Sushi
Wash hands well and keep it chilly to make nigiri (sushi rice balls).
Sashimi on Rice
Prep time: 1 hour (to cook rice)
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 min
You will need
2 small plates for soy sauce
1 Rice cooker
1 spatular or spoon to mix rice and sushi sauce
2 tablespoons Sushi Rice Vinegar
2 bowls Rice
2 tablespoons thinly cut Seaweed paper
2 teaspoon Soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon Wasabi
2 green perilla * if possible
4 slices Tuna
4 slices Medium Fatty Tuna
4 slices Salmon
*Any sashimi you like.
Note: You can use bottled Sushi Rice Vinegar or make your own homemade Sushi Rice Vinegar.
1. Mix cooked rice and Sushi Vinegar in Donburi bowls.
2. Place seaweed on the rice.
3. Decorate sashimi of your preference.
4. Prepare soy sauce in a small plate with wasabi on side.
Cutting Sushi Fish | Tuna
Cutting changes the taste and texture of the Sushi Fish, especially for Tuna. Not only the taste and texture but also it’s visual appearance after slicing tuna for sushi make a huge difference. Throw an extravagant Sushi Party with tuna sushi. This simple 2 steps method may seem easy but it’s harder than you think.
You Will Need
- Fillet of Sushi Grade Tuna
- Very Sharp Knife, well shaped
- Cutting board
- Clean kitchen towel
3 x 10 cm, 1.2 x 4 inch
Weight per slice
12 – 15 g, 0.5 ounce
Choosing the best Tuna for Sushi
Must choose Sushi Grade Fish.
Nice red coloured Tuna with few streaks.
Note that if you get a frozen tuna, the best colour of it may appear when the surface starts melting, but loses its colour when its completely unfrozen.
If the edge of tuna fillet is partly melted and has bright red coloured, it is more likely to keep its colour after making sushi.
How to hold knife to cut Sushi Fish
Prepare very sharp knife with a good length of a blade of 21 cm (8 inch) or more.
Without a very tight grip, place the index finger on top of the handle.
Double check the Sushi Fish Size you want
Place the knife on the tuna fillet and the size you see on the left hand side will be the size of Sushi Fish you’ll slice. (3 x 10 cm, 1.2 x 4 inch is recommended)
Slice Sushi Fish
This is the strips you want for Sushi fish. Try to cut to get sideway stripes.
- Place the bottom part of knife on the fillet of tuna.
- Slide the knife pulling forward.
Do not push the fillet with your knife.
- Wipe the cutting board well with kitchen paper before you cut.
- Cut off the skin of tuna fillet to make it easier to slice.
- Check the streaks of fillet, place the knife blade almost 90 degree to the streaks. Remember not to cut in aiming right on top of streaks of tuna.
- Try to use the full length of knife blade from the bottom to the top pulling towards you.
- Don’t hold the knife too tight, image you are cutting it with your elbo not with your wrist.
- Tuna meat has many streaks, cutting the streaks is the key to serve tuna with nice texture.
- Wipe the knife blade.
How to make Sushi Rice | Shari
Recipe Type: Appetiser
Prep time: 35 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 35 mins
You will need
Sushi Rice Sauce
1. Rinse rice and drain it using colander.
2. Add the same amount of water as rice then let it sit for 30 minutes.
3. Add a little bit of Sake, start cooking rice.
4. After mixing cooked rice with Sushi Rice Sauce, use a fan to cool it down.
5. Sushi rice will shine when you fan it.
Tips for making Sushi Rice
- Use dried rice. Japanese Rice is highly recommended.
- Add Japanese Sake when cooking rice.
- Don’t cook rice too soft as it will be mixed with Sushi Rice Sauce later.
- Try to mix lightly but well after Sushi Rice Sauce is added.
- Rice should not be too sticky.
- Cover the bowl with clean wet kitchen cloth to avoid from drying up.