Prune Plum Jam Recipe without Pectin
Make the best Prune Plum Jam, NO PECTIN added. We want it to bring out it’s own natural colour from prune plums. You really don’t need to add any pectin to make homemade jam. The special tip is to add stones of the plum when cooking.
Recipe Type: Desserts
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 2 hours 15 mins
You will need:
- Large bowl
- Deep pan
- Cloth cooking bag or empty tea bag
- Wooden spatular
- 1/2 kg Fresh prune plums
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Wash prune plums very well as we want to use it’s skin for this jam.
- Take off the stem, cut the prune plums in half and remove the stone then chop them roughly.
- Keep some stones and put them in a cloth cooking bags or something similar.
- Place chopped prune plums in a jam pan or a deep pan, and cover it with half amount of sugar and let it sit for awhile until you get juice out of it.
- Prepare jars for canning the jam while waiting.
- When the sugar is all melted and prune plum juice coming out of it at the bottom of the pan, start heating over medium heat, stir well.
- Add the bag of prune plum stones in the same pan.
- Turn the heat lower when it starts boiling and discard bubbles around the edge.
- It will turn bright red in 5 to 10 minutes. Add the rest of sugar and gently stir then ad lemon juice, cook over very low heat for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Store the jam in boiled clean jars.
- After washing prune plums, wipe off remaining water with kitchen papers. This will keep your jam clean and will last longer.
- If you like it sweeter, add sugar.
- Remember to add the stones because this makes the jam thicken.
- Removing bubbles while cooking the jam is important.
- No pectin added! Enjoy your healthy prune plum jam without pectin!